OPO Recovery Instructions
For all OPOs that refer directly to nPOD, please call 1-866-731-6585. (*See the list below)
For those that refer through IIAM, please call 1-800-486-4426.
For those that refer through NDRI, please call 1-800-222-6374.
For those that refer through Novabiosis/OmniLife, please call 1-877-433-1916
Acceptance Criteria and Recovery Instructions
Here at nPOD we are very grateful for our OPO partners and the time and effort you put forth to help us on our quest to find a cure for type 1 diabetes. Please reference when you have donors that meet the following criteria:
- Type 1 diabetes: Pancreas from donors with type 1 diabetes any age, any disease duration. (History of dialysis is a rule out on donors with a disease duration greater than 7 years).
- Pancreas from any donor 30 years in age or less, with a BMI of less than 30 where the cause of death was related to Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and/or have an HbA1c of 6.5 or higher.
- Pancreas from autoantibody positive donors 30 years in age or less, with at least 1 or more autoantibodies, (for those OPOs that screen with nPOD).
Organ recovery protocols and checklists
The purpose of these documents are to outline the protocols for the organs and tissues to be collected from nPOD donors (pancreas, spleen, non-pancreatic lymph nodes, bone marrow, thymus and blood). Please contact nPOD to obtain the most current and up to date versions of the recovery protocols
- Neonate to 10 years of age (request protocol)
- Donors 10 years and older (request protocol)
Bone marrow protocols
Whenever possible, we ask our recovery partners to obtain bone marrow to include with nPOD cases.
- Bone marrow recovery protocol (request protocol)
Organ recovery video (View Video)
This instructional video is intended for OPO and tissue bank personnel training purposes only. It shows the nPOD recovery procedure from a cadaveric donor.
Additional recovery protocols and checklists
- Autopsy recovery protocol (request protocol)